Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Archive Image of the Day. Image #11


This old tree has been standing near the Trans-Canada highway for as long as I can remember. I visited it one afternoon in the spring of 1994 and having photographed it many times decided to try Kodak's High Speed Infrared film (HIE). If you understand the characteristics of HIE you know that all living foliage comes out white and dead trees black. This is how the forest service use to check the health of the forests. You will notice that part of this old try is dead while there is still growth in other areas. HIE also has the characteristics of taking away haze and making skies appear darker, thus giving a dramatic effect especially when clouds are present. I liked this look very much. I actually was very fond of HIE images and used the film very regularly in my work. Hopefully I will find some others to share as well.

Canon F1, 17mm f4 @ f8, 1/125 sec, HIE rated at 100 ISO, Cokin Red filter no correction.

No comments:

Post a Comment