Sunday, February 6, 2011

Archive Image of the Day. Image #3


Like most city kids I had a fascination with trains. We could hear them rumbling through town even though I lived up near Nosehill park. Back then Calgary was smaller and quieter. When I started taking photographs I would often go downtown or near the train tracks to shoot images. Even when I traveled I would watch out for scenes involving trains. This image was taken in August 1993 near the Bearspaw Dam in Calgary. Shoot on T-max 400 iso film with my Canon F1 and 35mm f2.0 lens. I always liked the Caboose on the trains and found this reflection made for an interesting image.
On a side note, I always thought T-max had the best grain structure for it's time and would often push TMY to 160 or 3200 iso's when shooting sports. Now that I am scanning my old negatives I am truly appreciating what we have in our current digital cameras. With the Canon 7D I have started shooting at 6400 and even 12,800 iso. I always felt the noise was not bad in comparison to the old film stocks I shot. Looking closely at the grain structure of today's image and comparing it to so recent 12,800 iso images, I say no one should be complaining about the noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment