Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Archive Image of the Day. Image #6


This image was shot in Montreal on July 22, 1993. I had just purchased my Zone VI 4x5 field camera and wanted to test it out in one of the cities most famous land marks, the Notre Dame Basilica. Setting up I used my spot meter and determined a 14 minute exposure at f64 was needed. The lens was a Fujinon 210mm. I opened the lens and sat down and waited as the tour groups walked by giving a ghosting effect in the foreground. I was about to do a second exposure when a minister told me that photography with my type of camera was not permitted. Fortunately I only needed one shot and here is the result.

When I returned home I printed and matted three identical copies of the photograph that I entered in three different salons the next summer. The Calgary Stampede rejected it, the Red River Exhibition in Winnipeg accepted it and the National Association for Photographic Arts (now substituting Canadian for National) awarded it a Gold Medal at their salon in Vancouver. It taught me very early that judges are different and never give up on images I believe in.

In scanning this image I was amazed at the detail in the walls at the back of the Basilica even with the grain structure. The film was Kodak type 2771 stock (100 ISO). Scanned with the Epson V700 film scanner.

No comments:

Post a Comment