Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 56, 365 Day Project


One thing I have never really explored or exploited is shallow depth of field. It is one of my goals to break out of the old "f8 and be there" dogma I was taught at a young age. Not to say that this idea is wrong (it is so much easier to set the camera to f8 on aperture priority and let the camera set everything else to almost guarantee an image with modern cameras) but I want to take full creative control of the camera.
This 365 day project is the perfect place to experiment and have fun. So today I set my Canon 7D with the 24-70 f2.8 lens to wide open and then started to look for a subject to shoot. I settled on an old collection of the "Encyclopedia of Photography" that I have and zoomed in and cropped to give an interesting angle. Since the books are in my office and the light source are the florescent tubes on the ceiling I set my shutter speed at 1/40 sec (a speed I am comfortable hand holding) and then adjusted the ISO until I got a correct exposure, in this case 3200. I shot from a low angle and the books composed to read from left to right. The result is what I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment