Monday, November 19, 2012

Studio Lighting for the iPhone.

One of the draw backs of the iPhone is that it is hard to shoot photo's in a typical studio set up.  This is due to the fact that that there is no way to sync the camera with studio strobes.  Tonight I was able to show my students a lighting set up that not only works well for DSLR's but for the iPhone as well.

The set up here is using a continuous light source to light our subject.  Our lighting equipment where four banks of fluorescent light fixtures with bulbs balanced at 5000K.  This particular formation was creating a window of light from the fixtures with one on top and one on the bottom and another on each side.  This gives a look similar to a ring light but is a lot larger.  You then have the option to shoot through the middle or from the sides.

The lovely Breanna was once again in to model for my class and had a lot of fun with it.  I tried a couple of different things in this series.  All where cropped in Snapseed with the frame added in this app or in RealCamera+.  The only other adjustment was a slight exposure and contrast adjustment.  The first image is my Instagram 366 photo of the day.
For the next photo I had Breana move her arms as I pressed the shutter.  I like the slight movement that was captured.
Again some slight movement on this photo added a softness to the arm and legs.
This was actually the first photo I took and was a simple portrait using this wonderful light set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment